Panasonic Lumix TS5
Panasonic continues to upgrade its widely popular underwater Lumix line this year with new models. The Lumix TS5 is the company’s new flagship rugged camera.
Like its predecessors, the Lumix TS5 has a rugged waterproof, shockproof, dustproof and freezeproof body, making it an ideal camera to use for underwater shots. But this year the company has also followed the lead of other manufacturers (notably Olympus) and added a crushproof rating to this camera. The TS5 is now waterproof to 43 feet, shockproof to falls from up to 6.6 feet, freezeproof down to 14 degrees Fahrenheit, dustproof and crushproof to forces up to 220lb (100kg) of force.
Features of the Panasonic Lumix TS5
In addition to the rugged design protections mentioned above, the Panasonic Lumix DMC –TS5 offers the following features:
• 16.1 MP 1/2.33-inch High Sensitivity MOS Sensor
• 4.6x optical zoom (35mm camera equivalent: 28-128mm)
• 3-inch 460K-dot LCD screen with a 100% field of view
• 1920 x 1080 60p Full HD Video Recording
• Built-in Wi-Fi for instant online sharing and remote control from your smartphone
• Measures 4.3 x 1.14 x 2.6 inches and weighs only 7.5 ounces
• With features like Intelligent Auto Mode, GPS, compass, altimeter and barometer features
• Improve your shots with Sonic Speed Auto Focus, Creative Panorama Shots and more
• With 12 Creative Control functions
• Comes in a variety of colors to adapt to your changing styles
Pros and Cons of the Panasonic Lumix DMC –TS5
1. The Panasonic Lumix DMC –TS5 is an ideal camera to use for pretty much any type of sports. It’s great not just for water sports but also for any active sports such as skiing, diving, trekking and mountaineering.
2. This camera doesn’t require a special waterproof casing like many of today’s action cams, but instead the entire camera body is sealed to make it waterproof, freezeproof, shockproof, dustproof and crushproof.
3. The ability to connect via Wi-Fi and Near Field Communication makes this camera model efficient in transferring files directly to your PC or your Mac. No need to use wires or connect to the web to transfer photos and videos, and you can also control the camera from your smartphone.
4. It has plenty of features that make taking photos and videos easy. With features like Intelligent Auto Mode, you can take shots in a hurry with no need to make time-consuming adjustments.
There’s really nothing to dislike about this camera, as it offers an amazing array of functionality and durability and would be a great waterproof camera for anyone. But not everyone needs all the features packed into this little camera. You’re going to pay more for the TS5 than other comparable models that don’t have Wi-Fi, GPS and remote access through a smartphone, and as with any camera offering these features, the TS5 will drain your battery more rapidly when you use these options.
If you don’t need all of these additional features for remote access, a better choice might be the Panasonic Lumix TS25. It offers many of the same photographic options without extras such as Wi-Fi, and is therefore able to offer a lower selling price.
The Panasonic Lumix DMC –TS5A is a waterproof camera that you will enjoy taking anywhere you go. With its impressive design that allows it to withstand the elements, it’s an ideal camera to use in sports, outdoor activities and in demanding and tough environments. It also has practical features and impressive connectivity to easy transfer and edit data. But there are less expensive waterproof cameras on the market without features such as Wi-Fi, so if you don’t need the ability to upload instantly, you might want to consider one of these instead.
[ReviewAZON asin=”B00ATE7ULY” display=”fullpost”]